Tax Refunds

US Tax Refunds

For Exchange Visitors & Students on J, F, Q & M Visas getting a tax refund from your time in the U.S.A. is easy. When you accepted a visa to work in the U.S., you agreed to obey U.S. law, and filing a tax return is a part of that law. Failing to do so could also impact on your future visits to the U.S. so as you can see, it pays to have your U.S. tax affairs in order.

Important U.S.A. Tax Facts

Everyone who works in the U.S. – including exchange visitors and students – MUST file a U.S. tax return if you earn more than US$3650 in 2009 or 2010 (The earnings threshold is different each year).
  • As a non-resident (J, F, Q or M Visa Holder) in the U.S. you must PAPER FILE a 1040NR Tax Return (U.S. non-resident income tax return). You are not entitled to use the U.S. e-filing system or to file your tax return online.
  • Failing to comply with the U.S. tax law and filing for your tax return can affect your future U.S. visa applications.

U.S. Tax Return & U.S. Tax Filing Deadlines

The deadline for residents in the U.S. is April 15th of the following year after income was first received. A U.S. tax return must be submitted by this date unless an extension is received. If you are a non-resident in the U.S. and your only income is not effectively connected with a conduct of trade or business in the U.S.A., then the deadline is extended to June 15th. You may also file for an extension to file your U.S. tax return to avoid late filing penalties.

U.S. Tax Return & U.S. Tax Filing Deadlines